So, this is a little late but I wanted to have an easier way to update everyone. There is so much going on right now and everything seems to be changing every week, it's hard for me to keep up with it. Well, I will just start from the beginning.
(deep breath) On March 20, 2009, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. All together, BOOOO (yes I stole that line from you Saidi)!! I have to say, when my doctor first told me I wasn't surprised. For some reason, I always knew it was coming, but I never thought it would be this soon. I think the knowing that I had a high risk and deep down knowing it was in my future has helped me deal with it (I know morbid). But I also know everything will be okay and this is just a minor speed bump in my life. Right now, I'm just very anxious to get this part of my life over with.
I will be treated at St. Jude hospital in Fullerton. So, far it has been a very pleasant experience. First things first, the type of cancer I have is Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma (IDC). The name pretty much tells you where it is. It's in my ducts and is also found to be in a lymph node. I have already had bone scans and a PETct. The results were negative, so it hasn't spread anywhere else. I have also started on hormone therapy, which cuts off the hormones that the cancer is feeding on. So, as of now, it's not going anywhere.
As far as my surgery, I will be getting a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. This is mostly a preventive measure on my part. I did take a genetic test but have not got my results. I may not get them for another two weeks, but due to my mom's age at her diagnoses, I am sure we all know the results. Even if it does turn up negative, I will sleep more at ease, knowing I did what I could to prevent this from happening again.
Next popular question, What stage are you in? I don't know. That answer is not going to come until after my surgery. The stages are based on the size of the tumor and how far into my lymph nodes it has spread. As of right now, my tumor is 4 cm and one lymph node was biopsied and tested positive. The obvious next question, when is the surgery!?! I'm not sure. I have two more appointments, the last one being on the 20th. The surgery will be scheduled after this date. My Doctor says it will be the end of the month or even early next month. I will let everyone know as soon as it has been scheduled. Trust me, it's as frustrating as it sounds.
Well, that is the first step in this whole ordeal. The next step is chemo and possibly radiation. We are taking this one step at a time, they don't want to overwhelm me and be responsible for my head exploiting. I'll give you what I know. Today I just had an appointment with a nurse navigator (sorta like a nurse/social worker). She informed me I will be on TAC chemo, which consists of the three drugs, Cytoxan, Adriamysin, and Taxotere. I will be on 6 cycles, about three months. That's about all I know. Now the possibly of radiation, this all depends on the size of my tumor and how far in my lymph nodes it is. Basically if the tumor is over 5 cm and/or 3 + lymph nodes test positive I will need it. I won't find this out until everything is removed measured and tested (exhale).
Okay, I think, in a nut shell, that is everything. I know dry and boring, but now we are all on the same page. Thank you everyone for the kind wishes and prayers. It's very nice to know I have so many friends and family looking out for me. I will try to update this as soon as I get anything new. Most likely it will be once a week. I will try to keep this going throughout chemo, as well. Thank you again, I can't explain how good it feels to know how much everyone cares. Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That update was great! (in a nutshell :) ). I love you Kristina and am here for/with you ALL the way!!
ReplyDeleteHey Kristina,
ReplyDeleteVery informative and to the point...Thanks!!
Suzette
Thank you for doing this, Kristina! I know it helps all of us feel better ;) I hope it helps YOU to get it all out there too! We LOVE YOU!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristina, I know you don't know me but Noelle informed me of what was going on. Noelle and I have shared many life experiences adn know the power of prayer. I just wanted you to know I am praying for you and for a quick recovery. Keep your chin up. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteKristina, I know you'll get thru all this, ever since, I can remember you as a littl girl, even then you were so determined. You are a very strong girl! Our hearts & prayers are with you. Love from Paulette,Darla, Kim & Family
ReplyDeleteKristina, I have known you for a long time and you have always been a strong and positive person. I love you and will keep you in my prayers, I know everything will be just fine.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless You and I love you. Darla xoxo