Tuesday, May 19, 2009

First chemo

Well, today was my first day of chemo and it went well. Jose and I were there for about 4 hours. We didn't get seen for about 30-40 minutes and the treatment was about 3 hours. Overall, it wasn't too bad. It hurt when they placed the needle in the port but after that it was nothing. I made a new friend and slept most of the time. Afterwards, we went out to eat. I am still able to taste food. I guess in a few days everything will start to taste like metal or cardboard. I'm continuing to eat cold drinks and ice to prevent the sores in my mouth and throat. But I don't think it's working because my throat is hurting a little more every hour. The nausea is not bad, I actually think it's all in my head. I'm on a ton of nausea meds, so I am sure that won't be bad.

Well, I have a few follow up appointments to check my blood count, symptoms, and meds. Again, they are going to keep a close eye on me the next three weeks. My next treatment is in three weeks, I haven't got an appointment date. I may get that June 1st. Big thing coming up, besides the count down to my shower, is my hair falling out. They said it should happen in about 10-14 days. But my new friend informed me hers didn't fall out until she was well into her second treatment. I'm going to wait until that first clump of hair comes out and will let Perla go to town on it. I really don't mind me being bald so much. I am sure it will be emotional when it happens but I can live with it. I am a little concerned about my eyebrows and eyelashes. Don't know why but I think once I lose that I will be pretty self conscious.

So, that's that. Day one is going off without a hitch. I'll keep you updated through the week. Thank you everyone for the texts and emails. I appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. I have a good friend who is in the next cycle, she had her hair clump out in the first cycle so be prepared. Please know you are being prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina - you are going to be beautiful no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can knit you a fun wig in hot pink or neon blue. Do you have a preference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I think I will go with the blue! Love you cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU are so beautiful no matter what!!!
    We'll help you get past that part the best we can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. girl! i don't allow myself to have ugly friends so that just proves that you're gorgeous with hair or without! eyelashes are sold at the makeup counter (or the new website that we are all addicted to now)and we all have sharpies that you could borrow for your eyebrows, we ARE from La Puente.

    ReplyDelete