So, turns out my journey is not quite over. I still have my reconstruction surgery coming up (hopefully anyway). I wasn't going to share this, but I though what the heck. As you all know I had a bilateral mastectomy, which means, all of my breast, fatty tissue, ducts, areola and nipple where removed. A spacer was placed in between my chest muscle to make room for an implant that will later be switched out.
Unfortunately, I had to wait 6 months after my last radiation treatment to have surgery. This allowed time for my skin and muscle to heal. Bad news, the radiation did a real number on both. It caused capsular contracture, which is scar tissue forming around my right breast. Now, my Doctor and I decided to use the muscle and some skin from my back to replace the ones that were damaged by the radiation. This will help ensure my skin and muscle will heal correctly after the implant is put in place.
I don't have a surgery scheduled at this time but I am hoping to get one on the calender, for late April- early May. Of coarse I will keep you updated.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/photostory.faces?siteId=2&storyTag=g6r7g5d9kxyftxkma8fw
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment