Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Recovery

My recovery is coming along. I can get up on my own, I'm driving and my right arm can now go up to shoulder level. Not for a long time but it gets up there. Yesterday I had my remaining two drains removed, so, I was very excited that in 48 hours I will be able to take a shower. Then, today I had my port placed on the left side of my chest. This means its birdie baths for the next 10 days. A port is a type of catheter that is under the skin so there is less chance of infection. It’s a little weird because I can feel the port and see it sticking out of my chest.

Here is a picture of the port:


The placement of it was a little scare because I was awake. But they gave me something to help with the anxiety and it went very quickly after that. My neck is a little sore but overall I’m doing well. Just very disappointed about my shower.

The count down to chemo begins. My first treatment is in one week. There will be a mixed bag of side effects but I am prepared for them. My sister-in-law is counting down the days to shave my head (and yes I will post pictures). I have been in contact with women just a few steps ahead of me in treatment. It’s been so helpful to talk to them. Their side effects appear to be minimal and manageable, loss of appetite, hair loss, fatigue, etc. So, yes it will be hard but it’s something that I can work through and (hopefully) won't keep me for a normal life.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your shower Kristina :( ...I know you were looking forward to it. If it makes you feel better... you are STILL cleaner than Phil Collins and Ashley :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!! do I sound that anxious to shave your head!!!
    It will be a lot of fun and you know it....At least get a good laugh out of something really shitty.....BTW you know I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete